Assistant Manager, Accounting
Posted on: March 27, 2020
Posting Date Feb 20, 2020
Job Number 20021820
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda,
Maryland, United States
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us Marriott International is the worlds
largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more
opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a
great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask,
where will your journey take you?
The Financial Contract Compliance (FCC) department workswith
various stakeholders (corporate departments, continent leadership
andregional teams, property management, legal) to ensure financial
contractualresponsibilities are executed and financial results are
recorded in compliancewith U.S. GAAP. The organizationsupports
corporate processes in partnership with the continent
organizationsworldwide across all brands, as well as the respective
Finance Business Partners,Global Finance Centers of Expertise, and
Accenture Hospitality Services (AHS).As a member of the FCC Revenue
Accounting team, theAssistant Manager will play an integral role in
the accurate and timelyaccounting, forecasting and analysis of
Marriotts (MI) revenues. This positionwill assist with all aspects
of revenue recognition and validation inaccordance with contractual
agreements, US GAAP, and MI accounting policies.The Assistant
Manager will support the proper recognition and projection of
MIrevenues in collaboration with hotel Directors of Finance and
Regional Offices.The Assistant Manager will also collaborate with
other Global Finance Centersof Expertise and Finance Business
Partners to accomplish business objectives.
CONTRIBUTIONSExpectedContributionsAccounting and Analytics:
- Execute MIs monthly close process to ensureresults are
reflected accurately for MIs revenues in accordance with
contractsand US GAAP. Perform month close processes, such as
analyzing revenue resultsand researching variances to understand
underlying business drivers.
- Execute all monthly and annual revenue planningactivities to
ensure revenue projections accurately reflect MIs
forecastedrevenue. Support the preparation of revenue scenario
analyses for thelong-range plan, business plan, budget, and monthly
- Analyze and report on significant revenuefluctuations during
close and forecast cycles.
- Implement and maintain standard processes toensure accurate and
timely recognition and projection of MIs revenues in adynamic
multi-currency, multi-entity environment.
- Research and document unique accountingtreatment, coordinating
with Global Finance Centers of Expertise, FinanceBusiness Partners
and regional points of contact.
- Coordinate tracking and reconciliation ofdeferred revenue in
compliance with contractual provisions.
- Coordinate balance sheet account reconciliationsand ensure
balances are accurate and reconciliations contain proper
support.Partner with AHS and leadership to ensure completeness and
accuracy of accountreconciliations.
- Support audit related requests and questions.Governance and
- Review contractual agreements to understandrevenue recognition
requirements, including standard and complex dealarrangements.
- Develop knowledge and expertise in revenuereporting
requirements for properties within the growing MI portfolio.
- Ensure compliance with executed agreements on anindividual
property and/or pooled basis.
- Partner with continent finance teams on specificaspects of
property-level agreements including, contract management,
cashwaterfalls, revenue recognition, and deferrals.
- Establish strong working relationships with thevarious
corporate disciplines and regional offices.
- Focus on providing excellent customer service toboth internal
and external stakeholders.Systems and Special Projects:
- Translate contract terms into formulas utilizedby Excel model
and system-based calculations.
- Ensure calculations are in accordance with keycontractual
provisions to facilitate accurate revenue recognition and
analysis,focusing on enhanced reporting and process
- Participate in and support Global Financeinitiatives, including
the implementation of an automated contract engine.
- Assist in identifying system enhancements to improvethe
effectiveness and efficiency of close and forecast cycles.
- Prioritize issue resolution and focus oninnovation and
continuous process improvement.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requiredto meet business
- 4+ years of relevant finance/accountingexperience
- Strong understanding of accounting processes andsystems
- Experience in lodging/hospitality industry andinterpretation of
contracts/legal agreements strongly preferredEducation
- B.S. Degree in Accounting, Finance or relateddiscipline
- CPA or advanced degree preferredKnowledge andSkills
- Strong financial acumen with proven analyticaland
- Strong technical accounting skills;understanding of Generally
Accepted Accounting Principles and related controls.
- Ability to translate complex contract provisionsinto Excel and
- Broad understanding of accounting and thecorrelation of
operating Financial Statements.
- Strong organizational skills and effectivenessin prioritizing
and managing multiple priorities.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy whilemaintaining the
big picture at the same time.
- Ability to influence others and functioneffectively in a
collaborative work environment.
- Able to work independently, but effectively workin a team
- Strong interpersonal skills with a win-winnegotiating
- Ability to embrace continuous processimprovement.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Motivated team player.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications;advanced Excel
skills a strong plus.
- Previous PeopleSoft and/or SmartView
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed
to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.
Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of
disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under
federal, state or local laws.
Keywords: Corporate, Bethesda , Assistant Manager, Accounting, Accounting, Auditing , Bethesda, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!