Director/Sr. Director, Biopharma Programs
Company: Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Posted on: January 10, 2021
Location: Bethesda, MD - National Headquarters Company Order
Number: 3337 # of openings: 1 Description The Cystic Fibrosis
Foundation (CF Foundation) and its employees embrace their
commitment to its core values. These core values are the pillars on
which the CF Foundation stand and will continue to sustain us as we
- Keep sight of what really matters: Our decisions are based on
what is best for people with cystic fibrosis and their
- Aspire for excellence in all we do: We take pride in our work.
We are committed to continuous learning and improvement.
- Stronger together: We collaborate and work together so that we
can learn more and achieve more.
- Innovate with courage: We embrace challenges. We reach beyond
boundaries in pursuit of our vision.
- Care about our people: We deeply care about each other and all
who support our shared mission. We listen with respect. We support
one another. POSITION SUMMARY: The duties of this position are to
carry out the mission of the CF Foundation to facilitate discovery
and development of new genetic-based therapies that will benefit
all people with CF. This individual will work as part of an
integrated team and to identify, evaluate, and develop promising
new programs with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. The
role will include seeking out and evaluating new opportunities,
leading exploratory discussions, structuring complex partnerships,
and participating in contract negotiation to secure mutually
beneficial agreements that enhance opportunities for CF-relevant
drug development programs. The successful candidate will have
strong scientific knowledge and a track record in drug development
in areas related to nucleic acid delivery, gene editing
technologies, and/or stem cell therapies. Other areas relating to
cystic fibrosis drug discovery such as, inflammation, infection,
nutrition and mucocilary clearance, etc. are a plus. This
individual is expected to contribute in-depth knowledge in these
areas and exhibit superior analytical, strategic and communication
skills. Well organized, detail oriented, with a strong sense of
urgency, this individual will be a team player who is comfortable
exerting leadership through consensus building and identification
of innovative solutions. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with Medical team to seek out, identify, critically
evaluate, and cultivate partnerships with academic and for-profit
entities, with the goal of developing improved genetic-based
therapies for CF.
- Assess and prioritize Program opportunities including
risk/benefit for CF population, technology potential, financial
resources, scientific merit, and management structure.
- Coordinate review for therapeutic development
- Survey advancements in basic/clinical research, understand
their applicability to cystic fibrosis and identify and shepherd
opportunities for assisting CF research and therapeutic
- Monitor and maintain advancement of currently funded CF
- Provide regular assessments and recommendations to the senior
management and Board members regarding potential partnership
- With input from medical team and CFFT legal counsel,
participate in the end-to-end process of partnership development by
aligning needs, coordinating requirements, building internal
consensus, structuring and negotiating contracts and leading
- Together with Grants and Contracts team, ensure payment terms
are met, monitor predicted and actual expenses, and assist in
budget assessment and projections.
- With Medical Group Compliance officer, ensure that contract
terms meet internal and external compliance standards.
- Ensure that appropriate royalty payments are made.
- With Project Management staff, track project status, archive
and summarize correspondence, and monitor and update progress.
- Assist in preparing annual reports, progress reports, and
budget projections, as needed. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- M.D., Ph.D., or equivalent level of formal training required.
Chemistry or life sciences discipline preferred.
- Strong knowledge and minimum of 3-5 years of experience in
preclinical/clinical drug discovery and development, particularly
in areas related to genetic-based therapies.
- Strong aptitude for investigating and identifying new
scientific approaches and emerging technologies relevant to
- Demonstrated experience in partnership building and business
- Problem-solving, strategic and analytical capabilities are
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks and meet stated
- Creative thinker, resourceful, team player, self-starter.
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills.
- Highest degree of integrity and honesty.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated high competency for organizational skills and
attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate and be creative with a professional and
positive approach. REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
- N/A. WORKING CONDITIONS:
- -20% travel (to conferences and meetings with overnight stays,
- Normal office environment with little exposure to excessive
noise, dust and temperature.
- No heavy lifting required. The above is intended to describe
the general content of and requirements for the performance of this
job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of
essential functions, responsibilities or requirements. The CF
Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to
being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a
great and inclusive place to work. We strive to recruit and
maintain a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, physical or
mental disability, color, religious creed, ancestry, national
origin, religion, age, sex, marital status, genetic information or
testing, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation or
status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran or any
characteristic protected by law. Reasonable Accommodation Notice
The CF Foundation is committed to providing reasonable
accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our
job application procedures. If you need assistance or would like to
request an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at
HROps@cff.org. With more than 70 chapters and offices across the
country, it's easy to find and join a local Cystic Fibrosis
Foundation chapter near you. 4550 Montgomery Ave.
Suite 1100 N
Bethesda, MD 20814 301-951-4422 We will not rest until we find a
Keywords: Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Bethesda , Director/Sr. Director, Biopharma Programs, Executive , Bethesda, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!