Director, Platform Architect
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Job Number 23030964
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue,
Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Located Remotely? Y
Position Type Management
---JOB SUMMARY As Marriott continues the journey of designing a
next generation enterprise architecture, we are looking for strong,
visionary Platform Architects who can help define our cloud first
architecture. We are looking for someone with extensive experience
in designing revenue generating platforms for large enterprises
such as Marriott. This role will require strong collaboration
skills and ability to be a self-starter. The candidate should have
been heavily involved in designing at least one multi-year
architectural transformation for a large enterprise. Essential
candidate skillsets should include technologies such as NoSQL,
RDBMS, Streaming, Eventing and REST/GraphQL. Experience designing
architectures in one of the major cloud providers such as AWS or
Azure is strongly desired. CANDIDATE PROFILE - Education and
- Minimum 10 years' experience creating Architecture roadmaps and
operational models that span the Technology, Application and Data
layers for complex, high-available systems in Java, Mobile, COTS
and/or Mainframe environments.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- 10+ years relevant experience in building large enterprise
- Has worked on large enterprise transformation programs.
- 10+ years relevant experience in the management and governance
of Enterprise Platforms
- Demonstrated experience of having driven large multi-year,
enterprise-wide architectural transformations successfully.
- Expert in making architectural decisions when faced with
competing business and technology choices.
- In depth knowledge of various cloud technologies involved in
large enterprise initiatives
- Strong communication skills and ability to present complex
technology choices to a diverse audience and key stakeholders
- Experience authoring IT standards, frameworks and patterns
across the Technology, Application and Data architecture
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic IT
technologies and related processes, procedures, and decision
- Experience with business requirements gathering/analysis.
- In-depth technical experience with network, PC, and platform
- Excellent technical knowledge of current systems software,
protocols, and standards.
- Expert knowledge of programming languages.
- Experience in varied technologies (e.g., client server
architecture, mobile infrastructures, enterprise and workgroup
server platforms, Web applications, etc.)
- Experience in project definition and management
- Strong knowledge of the best available tools, software,
applications, and systems for attaining best-in-class IT technology
across the enterprise.
- Extensive experience in multiple technical infrastructure
design areas and in technology management.
- Experience in core enterprise applications, application
- Knowledge of software evaluation principles and practices.
- Project planning and management experience.
- Excellent understanding of change management and testing
requirements, techniques, and tools.
- Ability to create constructive relationships, influence, and
communicate (to project team, IT management, and non-technical
- Ability to lead complex, cross-functional problem-solving
- Experience in researching emerging technologies and trends,
standards, and products. CORE WORK ACTIVITIES - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Managing the Day-To-Day Architecture
- Develops long-term strategic goals for architecture vision and
standards in conjunction with users, productt managers, clients,
and other key stakeholders.
- Assesses and determines governance, stewardship, and frameworks
across the organization.
- Creates short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term
objectives and an overall architecture roadmap.
- Conducts capacity planning, life cycle, duration, usage
requirements, feasibility studies, and other tasks.
- Identifies and develops opportunities for technology reuse,
migration, or retirement. Developing and Maintaining Requirements
- Develops and promotes architecture methodologies and
- Defines requirements to implement the appropriate tools,
software, applications, and systems to support technology
- Defines requirements for tracking data quality, completeness,
redundancy, and improvement in collaboration with the Service
- Defines requirements to promote the success of enterprise-level
application rollouts (e.g. ERP, SCM, CRM, SAP, etc.).
- Defines requirements to address issues in regards to systems
integration, compatibility, and multiple-platform integration.
- Defines requirements to develop and implement key components as
needed to create testing criteria in order to guarantee the
fidelity and performance of architecture.
- Defines requirements to create strategies and plans for
security, backup, disaster recovery, business continuity, and
- Documents architectures and environments in order to maintain a
current and accurate technology views
- Defines requirements to verify that strategies and
architectures are in regulatory compliance. Building Successful
- Collaborates with project managers and business unit leaders
for all projects
- Acts as a leader and advocate of architecture processes and
standards, including coaching, training, and career development to
- Liaises with vendors and Service Providers to select the
products or services that best meet company goals. MANAGEMENT
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a
convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values -Keeps the organization's
vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and
- Managing Change -Initiates and/or manages the change process
and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove
barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to
handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under
pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and
understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and
compares information from different sources to draw conclusions,
develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems,
and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey
confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first
impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and
systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential
for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and
execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing,
and on-going evaluation processes. Managing Execution
- Building a Successful Team -Uses an effective interpersonal
style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion
and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance
to the organization.
- Strategy Execution - Ensures successful execution across of
business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction,
profitability, and market share through effective planning,
organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for
self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives;
initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others
toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes
beyond what is required. Building Relationships
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships
based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions
consistent with the company's service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with
diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural
perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement
and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the
opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships -Develops collaborative relationships
with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel
valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership
opportunities with other people in and outside the organization;
influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services
and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance,
Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective
external relations with government, business and industry in
respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between
locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources
are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Developing Others -Supports the development of other's skills
and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future
job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure
of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or
support the goals of an organizational unit. Learning and Applying
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for
learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning
opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and
learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional
skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and
manage everyday business operations and generate innovative
solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Technical Intelligence - -Knowledge and ability to define and
apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
- Development Methodologies - Knowledge of SAFe/Agile framework
and the application tiers within the development space.
- Information Security - Knowledge of the security considerations
relevant within the development space, including industry best
practices related to information security
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information
to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to
approach business and administrative challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for
accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and
software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software,
Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - - The ability to add, subtract,
multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows
one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand
information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and
paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate
for the needs of the audience. California Applicants Only: The
salary range for this position is $107,850.00 to $239,250.00
annually. Colorado Applicants Only: The salary range for this
position is $107,850.00 -to $217,498.00 annually. New York City &
Westchester County, NY Applicants Only: The salary range for this
position is $130,500.00 to $239,250.00 -annually. Washington
Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $107,850.00
to $239,250.00 annually. In addition to the annual salary, the
position will be eligible to receive an annual bonus and restricted
stock units/stock grants. Employees will accrue 0.4616 PTO balance
for every hour worked and eligible to receive minimum of 7 holidays
annually. - - All locations offer coverage for medical, dental,
vision, health care flexible spending account, dependent care
flexible spending account, life insurance, disability insurance,
accident insurance, adoption expense reimbursements, paid parental
leave, educational assistance, 401(k) plan, stock purchase plan,
discounts at Marriott properties, commuter benefits, employee
assistance plan, and childcare discounts. - Benefits are subject to
terms and conditions, which may include rules regarding
eligibility, enrollment, waiting period, contribution, benefit
limits, election changes, benefit exclusions, and others. -
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. -We
believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive,
people-first culture. -We are committed to non-discrimination on
-any -protected -basis, such as disability and veteran status, or
any other basis covered under applicable law. -Marriott
International considers for employment qualified applicants with
criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and
Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with
more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to
grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of
discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take
Keywords: Corporate, Bethesda , Director, Platform Architect, Executive , Bethesda, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...