7254 - Physician (Psychiatrist) GP-0602-15
Company: Defense Health Agency Civilian Medical Corps
Posted on: May 27, 2023
This position is located at The Walter Reed National Military
Medical Center (WRNMMC), Behavioral Health, Bethesda, Maryland.
This is a civilian Physician (Psychiatry) position that affords job
security, a competitive salary, bonuses, moving expenses, full
malpractice coverage, 13-26 days paid vacation, 10 days paid
Federal Holidays, a sick leave benefit and a first-class health and
retirement benefit package. We are seeking ordinary people with
extraordinary hearts to care for the men and women who wear and
have worn the uniform and their families.
Medical malpractice liability insurance is not required for federal
civilian healthcare providers as they are covered by the Federal
Tort Claims Act (28 U.S.C. 1346(b while acting within the scope of
A recruitment or relocation bonus may be authorized.
This is a Direct Hire Announcement
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Scope of services include, but are not limited to;
- Providing treatment services in any capacity including, but not
limited to, examining, diagnosing and treating diseases affecting
mental health including the brain, nervous system, substance abuse
of drugs or chemicals and personality disturbances.
- Specializing in treating mental illness using the biomedical
approach to mental disorders, including psychotherapies.
- Providing treatment services in any capacity including, but not
limited to, assessment, medication management and disposition of
psychiatric patients including making arrangements for
hospitalization if needed.
- Providing routine, intensive, complex and emergency intakes and
extended evaluations for a variety of emotional, psychological, and
- Providing continuing follow-up care for chronic patients with
acute disorders and complications of these disorders, such as
psychosis, organic brain syndrome, substance abuse/addictions,
- Perform initial patient work-up to assess patient care and/or
- Discriminate between abnormal and normal findings to recognize
early stages of physical, emotional, and/or mental problems.
- Completes required records (both paper and electronic)
pertaining to all medical services provided in accordance with
specified procedures and regulations.
- Exercises independent judgment with full responsibility for
professional diagnosis, treatment, referral and disposition of
patients, IAW Health Information Portability and Accountability Act
- Ensures the highest standards of professional practice and
ethics are maintained.
- Directs quality assurance studies in areas of
- Makes decisions that have a serious impact on the lives of
others, such as recommending hospitalization, determining a service
member's fitness for duty, or assessing and completing a Medical
Evaluation Board (MEB), Temporary Disability Retirement List (TDRL)
evaluations, psychological autopsies, sanity boards, command
consultations, other administrative processes, and preparation of
evaluation reports according to applicable regulations.
- Identify patient treatment needs and arranges for a safe,
- Provides oversight of psychiatric residents, interns, and
medical students in area of responsibility.
- In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or
experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly
describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on
education, your transcripts will be required as part of your
application. Additional information about transcripts is in this
- Degree: Doctor of Medicine from a school in the United States
or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of
the applicants graduation. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent
degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and
medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in
the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by
the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
(or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed
premedical education in the United States and graduate education in
a foreign country).
- Graduate Training: Subsequent to obtaining a Doctor of Medicine
or Doctor of Osteopathy degree, a candidate must have had at least
1 year of supervised experience providing direct service in a
clinical setting, i.e., a 1-year internship or the first year of a
residency program in an institution accredited for such
- Certification: Candidates must have a permanent, full, and
unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of
Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the
- Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid
experience, including volunteer work done through National Service
programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations
(e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual;
community; student; social). You will receive credit for all
qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To qualify
based on your experience, your resume must describe at least 5
years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be
filled or equivalent experience and training in the specialty of
Psychiatry. This required Psychiatry experience/training includes
skills such as, but not limited to, a wide range of extremely
difficult and responsible dealings with inpatient service, partial
hospitalization service, intensive outpatient services, routine
outpatient services, consultation liaison services and must be
well-versed to transition to any area as required. NOTE: Some
federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the
required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must
meet the qualification requirement using experience alone no
substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in
order to be considered for this position. You must include this
information with your application package.
- Only degrees from an accredited college or university
recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet
positive education requirements or to substitute for
- For additional information, please go to the Office of
Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education
websites at and
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- These positions require a Childcare Background Check
- These positions are a Testing Designated Positions (TDP)
subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively
selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring
participation in random drug urinalysis testing. A job offer to an
applicant who is a not a current employee will be withdrawn if the
applicant refuses to be tested. Applicants with verified positive
test results shall be refused employment. Applications from such
individuals shall not be considered for employment for a period of
6 months from the date of the test results.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a
Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- These positions are subject to annual seasonal influenza
vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected for appointment to
this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of
Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must
provide a recognized exemption.
- A pre-placement physical examination may be required.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is
required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants
may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on
the type of position.
- This announcement may be used to fill Supervisory positions. A
one year supervisory probationary/trial period may be
- Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS)
Training and certification that is sponsored or endorsed by the
American Heart Association (AHA).
- Current Advanced Life Support or other advanced certification
does not supersede BLS completion.
Keywords: Defense Health Agency Civilian Medical Corps, Bethesda , 7254 - Physician (Psychiatrist) GP-0602-15, Healthcare , Bethesda, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...