C++ Software Developer Bioinformatics/Big Data
Company: Dovel Technologies
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, is seeking a
skilled C++ Software Developer to support our work at the National
Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, MD (when it is safe).NCBI,
the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the nation's
premier biomedical resource, is seeking a software developer to
help deliver biological sequence annotation and data curation
infrastructure for the nation's foremost sequence and biomedical
literature repositories. Sites at NCBI, a part of the National
Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health
(NIH), see four million daily users searching for gene sequence
data, biomedical journal citations, and a wide array of other
information that directly impacts biomedical research and public
health. NCBI's annotation pipelines not only serve these diverse
expert communities - they actually drive new life sciences
discoveries, ranging from medical health (viruses and pandemics,
genetic diseases, cancer) to public health (food safety monitoring,
antimicrobial resistance, viral outbreaks), to basic research
topics in computational biology, bioinformatics and microbial
diversity, and many more.
On a technical level, NCBI's wide range of applications, platforms
(e.g. node, Python, Django, C++), and applications and environments
(petabyte-level big data, multiple cloud providers) serve more
users than the US Postal Service and see more traffic than the IRS
at tax time. We embrace FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible,
Interoperable, Reusable) and are on the cutting edge of civic tech
and cloud computing.
This role calls for more than an expert coder and architect -
someone who can work equally effectively with subject-matter
experts, user researchers, designers, product managers, scientists,
security and DevOps engineers, and more. Work with teams of
dedicated, skilled developers, researchers, and product
professionals as you build robust, flexible solutions serving
dozens of production applications, APIs and services. Join us!
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and
continued maintenance of NCBI bioinformatics software and
information retrieval systems
- Work with a diverse group of scientists, bioinformaticians and
other developers across the center to implement efficient
- Learn new technologies, keep up with internal systems, and
share your knowledge with the teamRequired qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in STEM or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of experience handling large amounts of data or
working in a distributed computing environment
- Strong proficiency in C++
- Programming experience in a Linux environment
- Experience with MS SQL server and relational database design
- Fluency in some scripting languages such as BASH, csh, Perl, or
- 5+ years of working with genetic and biological data
their associated ecosystems
- Experience with MongoDB or other NoSQL database technology
- Experience with Docker or other containerization
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit testing, integration and
- Experience using GitHub
- Experience with Cloud technologies a strong plus
Due to our contractual requirements, to be eligible for this role,
you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at time of hire.
Company DescriptionWe are a trusted government partner that blends
deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our
customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save
lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial
spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support
agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and
grants management.The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an
opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer
a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a
culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth. What
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow
you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to
keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options
like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs,
we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care
Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or
transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you
covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance
Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs,
company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and
have your voice heard.
Keywords: Dovel Technologies, Bethesda , C++ Software Developer Bioinformatics/Big Data, IT / Software / Systems , Bethesda, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!