Bioinformatics Scientist - NIH - Bethesda, MD
Company: Kelly Services
Posted on: April 9, 2021
Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business
partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. --Through
our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly
Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering,
scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work
with the leading medical research center in the world. --We are
seeking an experienced individual to work as a Bioinformatics
Scientist--at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda,
MD.This is a long-term contract position which offers:
- Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefit package
- Optional health, vision, and dental plans
- Vacation leave as well as 10 paid federal holidays and 401K
- Access to NIH's unparalleled resources and niche scientific
initiatives--TASKS/SERVICES. The contractor shall:--
- Work closely with the National Institute of Child Health and
Human Development (NICHD) Bioinformatics and Scientific Programming
Core (BSPC) and a group of nine collaborating labs working on basic
neuroscience research in a wide variety of model systems and using
a wide variety of assays
- Utilize code, infrastructure, pipelines and shared knowledge
from BSPC; modify, improve, and contribute back to these
- Analyze large data sets generated from a wide range of
techniques including next-generation sequencing (particularly
single-cell assays), mass spectrometry, and high-throughput
- Develop and perform analyses using software engineering and
reproducible research best-practices including version control
(such as git), isolated environments (such as conda and/or
Singularity), reproducible workflows (such as Snakemake) and manage
projects with GitLab
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of new technologies, assays and
methods; learn and incorporate these into subsequent analyses.
- Collaborate with research staff on the design of experiments
that will require computational analysis.
- Utilize NIH's high-performance computing cluster, Biowulf, to
- Develop tools using Python and/or R programming languages for
commonly-performed tasks and for integrating results from multiple
- Maintain and update code and commands used for analyses to
ensure reproducible results.
- Collect and review data; analyze and interpret data and
results; provide reports based on analysis of scientific data.
- Work with staff on data visualization to support the
preparation of presentations and manuscripts for submission to
- Co-write manuscripts.
- Attend relevant lab meetings; present research outcomes and
make recommendations for future work.
- Teach and advise staff in the use of bioinformatics analysis
- Work with BSPC towards improving bioinformatics training
support throughout the institute.
- Help departing trainees to consolidate, document, and archive
their code; assist incoming trainees in getting up to speed on
previous computational work.--REQUIREMENTS. The contractor must
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics or a related discipline; three (3)
years of specialized experience plus a Master's degree is
equivalent to a Ph.D.
- Minimum of three (3) years of related experience.
- Expertise in high-throughput sequencing analysis of DNA or RNA
sequence data using Linux command-line tools, integrating the
results from multiple experiments and applying biological knowledge
of the interpretation of the results.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly
- Knowledge of software development techniques such as unit
testing and version control.
- Demonstrated expertise in R and Python programming
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management
- Ability and willingness to teach colleagues bioinformatics and
computational topics--PLEASE APPLY ONLINEWhen you apply, please
know a Kelly Government Solutions Recruiter will review your resume
and will contact you directly, if your skills and experience match
the requirements of this position; a full job description can be
made available at that time.Due to the high volume of inquiries, we
regret that we cannot accept phone calls. Even if you aren't
contacted for this position, you are still part of our talent
network.-- All Kelly recruiters have access to your profile, which
expands your opportunities even further.As a specialty talent
company, Kelly is committed to doing the right thing for our talent
and clients.-- We stand up for equity, inclusion, fair treatment,
and opportunity for all as these build the foundation of our Talent
Promise.-- With a focus on safety, value, well-being, investment,
and opportunity, Kelly's Talent Promise confirms our commitment to
those in search of a better way to work and live and to help
discover what's next.It is obvious things are different than they
were just a few months ago. Kelly is at the forefront of ensuring
the safety of our employees in this new working environment. Be
well and stay strong.Why Kelly--?Looking to connect with premier
government agencies or the top 25 federal government contractors?
Kelly Government offers a variety of full-time, project (SOW),
seasonal, and surge support opportunities in science, engineering,
technical, professional, and administrative support roles. Our
experts will find you the opportunity that fits your schedule and
interests and handle the details of transferring and processing all
levels of security clearances. It's just another way we make the
job search work for you.About Kelly--Kelly connects talented people
to companies in need of their skills in areas including Science,
Engineering, Education, Office, Contact Center, Light Industrial,
and more. We're always thinking about what's next in the evolving
world of work, and we help people ditch the script on old ways of
thinking and embrace the value of all workstyles in the workplace.
We directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world, and we
connect thousands more with work through our global network of
talent suppliers and partners in our outsourcing and consulting
practice. Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to
employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to,
minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected
veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity Equal Employment
Opportunity is The Law.]]
Keywords: Kelly Services, Bethesda , Bioinformatics Scientist - NIH - Bethesda, MD, Other , Bethesda, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!