ProQuest - Who we are
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better
insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world.
ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across
the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure
troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader
in the Information Services market.
What will I be doing?
The Software Engineer is responsible for implementation and
testing phases of the software development life cycle, occasionally
providing input into design.
In this position, you will also
- Implements software for specifications of medium complexity for
limited scale systems.
- Participates as a team member on various engineering
- Suggests alternative methodologies or techniques to achieving
- Develops and maintains understanding of products, manufacturing
processes, and product applications.
- Manually tests and unit tests all assigned applications.
- Writes application technical documentation.
- Reviews and revises new procedures as needed for the continuing
development of high quality systems.
- Maintains knowledge of technical advances and evaluates new
hardware / software for company use.
- Follows departmental policies, procedures, and work
- Works closely with higher-level engineers to increase
Reasons you should apply...
You enjoy working with new technologies!
You enjoy collaborating with other teams!
- You want to work in a purpose driven organization!
This job may not be a fit if...
You don't have experience with Java.
- You do your best work as a solo artist; the rest of the group
just slows you down.
Qualified Candidates must have
- Bachelors' degree or higher in related field, such as Computer
Engineering or Computer Science, plus a minimum of 2 years of
software development experience, or equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- Java development experience required (or Angular
- Ability to learn and master standard programming
- Ability to write detailed design specifications based on user
- Ability to work with standard office tools.
- Ability to work with source control systems.
- Ability to work with design tools (e.g. Visio).
- Ability to work in an agile environment.
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have
- Experience with Angular development.
- Ability to understand and manipulate XML.
- Familiar with AWS.
- Familiar with relational databases (preferably MySQL).
- Familiar with REST API design.
- Familiar with the Unix command line.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
- Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America's Best Mid-Size
- We offer professional development opportunities with a
significant focus on learning
- We hold fun on-site events
- Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
- We have a relaxed dress code yes, that means blue jeans (and
not just on Fridays!)
- All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products
including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
At ProQuest, we embrace the power of our people and value our
differences - in thought, style, sexual orientation, gender
identity, culture, ethnicity, and experience - recognizing that our
diversity makes us a stronger company. Encouraging a diverse,
inclusive workplace gives us the business advantage of
understanding and meeting the needs of our diverse customers,
clients, and communities.
Other important information about this position:
- This position is based in our ProQuest office located in
Bethesda, MD or another ProQuest office location.
- This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance
with some scheduling flexibility available around core working
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities.
ProQuest/PQ seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable
individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you are a
passionate professional with a drive for success, please consider
joining our talented team!!