Sr. Network Engineer - Data Center Routers & Switches
Company: Marriott International
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Posting Date May 13, 2021
Job Number 21039130
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road,
Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company,
with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates
to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of
discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take
The Senior Network Engineer, Cloud & Datacenter is responsible
for designing efficient and optimal networks, including local area
networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), the Internet,
intranets, cloud computing virtual networks, software defined
networks, and other data communications systems. As part of a high
performing team of network technologists, the Senior Network
Engineer engages in technical workgroups, resolves and makes
decisions on complex and high-risk issues, performs research,
analysis, design, creation, and implementation of infrastructure
systems to meet current and future user requirements. This role is
accountable for establishing cross team relationships and
partnering with all business disciplines, other MI teams,
outsourcing vendors, and external suppliers to define and implement
the Cloud and Datacenter Network roadmap, building and enforcing
the standards defined in it. This position will also engage to
define and support service delivery and operational support
standards for our datacenter and cloud networks, partner with the
global technology peer teams to meet service level requirements and
resolve service delivery issues across the portfolio.
Reporting to the Sr Dir, Cloud & Datacenter Network, this key
position is responsible to ensure overall requirements by customers
and peer delivery and operations groups are met. Responsibilities
include, but are not limited to: continental IT executives,
property LAN service providers (LSPs), end-user computing services
delivery, hosting services, enterprise availability, server,
storage, virtualization, inclusive of security/privacy, risk
management, and disaster and crisis management. The successful
candidate will provide senior technical engagement for all phases
of the infrastructure lifecycle from ideation through execution,
and ongoing management and support of the end-to-end network
servicing all Marriott cloud and datacenter network systems. (S)/He
will develop and execute new initiatives to simplify, standardize,
optimize, and automate the network designs, tooling, and operations
to reduce implementation cycle times, eliminate service downtime,
optimize performance, and ensure that all security and compliance
requirements are fully governed.
Education and Experience
- Advanced Degree (e.g., MS, PhD) in Computer Science or other
technical discipline or MBA, preferably with a focus on
- 10+ years' experience managing large, globally distributed
network architecture, engineering, and/or operations teams and
leveraging next-generation network designs and technologies to
support large-scale deployments
- Proven track record of driving transformation in network
technologies, tools, and processes through a data-driven continuous
- Demonstrated experience in improving security, stability,
reliability, performance, and agility of complex enterprise
- Strong technical knowledge of foundational networking
technologies and solid understanding of the software-defined
networking (SDN) ecosystem
- Strong understanding of network infrastructure automation,
instrumentation, and monitoring platforms and the emerging
technologies in this area
- Proven experience leading highly effective technical teams
through major technology and organizational change
- Proven experience re-engineering complex Internet-based network
designs to optimize for services and applications that are
sensitive to network turbulence (e.g., latency, jitter, loss)
- Proven experience driving operational performance through
defining and enforcing Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery
Point Objective (RPO) Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Experience driving and/or significantly participating in vendor
RFPs for network products (e.g., hardware, software, tools, telco,
- Experience managing or working in the services sourcing and/or
ITO or LSP field
- Certification in network and/or security technologies (e.g.,
CCIE, CCNP, CISSP, etc.)
- Experience in researching emerging technologies and trends,
standards, and products and synthesizing into clear technology
roadmaps and strategies
- Strong influencing skills and an ability to overcome barriers
while driving change
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide
range of audiences including executives, business stakeholders, and
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to operate
effectively across multiple priorities
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Develop complex global distributed infrastructure solutions
residing within multiple country borders.
- Provide program management assistance and contribute input to
help manage project schedules, risks, and costs.
- Manage Cloud and Datacenter Network products and solutions,
including the design, low level engineering, and delivery of new
hardware systems for Marriott applications across the cloud and
- Define and implement an operational Recovery Time Objective
(RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) strategy for all Cloud and
Datacenter Network Infrastructure areas.
- Establish cross team level relationships and partnering with
all Business disciplines and other MI teams to define IT Cloud and
Datacenter Network services, meet service level requirements and
serve as an escalation point to resolve service delivery and
- Create functional strategies and specific objectives for the
sub-function and develops budgets/policies/procedures to support
the functional Cloud and Datacenter Network infrastructure.
- Foster an environment of continuous improvement and structured
processes and procedures that support a zero-fault culture.
Strategy & Planning
- Actively engages with VP of Global Networks in the creation of
long-term and annual IT budgets/spending targets for the Cloud and
Datacenter Network infrastructure area.
- Deliver Cloud and Datacenter Network technical support to meet
defined service levels that are benchmarked against industry
standards and metrics.
- Monitor area usage/demand of services provided by either the
internal organization or outsources partners to ensure that shared
services actual expenditures are in line with planned
- Track actual utilization of services and products, including
reporting of supplier performance, in meeting business service
expectations and service levels.
- Responsible for ensuring usage / demand of Cloud and Datacenter
Network delivery actual versus planned expenditures are
- Responsible for ensuring projected resource baselines are
managed, forecasted and reconciled against actual utilization of
- Ensure key Cloud and Datacenter Network technology management
processes are effectively managed including: governance,
operations, planning, and change management.
- Define requirements, strategy, solutions, and standards for
Cloud and Datacenter Network infrastructure to meet business needs
and adhere with enterprise architecture & security standards.
- Approve and oversee projects to implement and maintain
- Partner on all aspects of the technology lifecycle including
requirements, product and services management, planning,
procurement, installation, support and retirement in conjunction
with other Infrastructure VPs, Enterprise Architecture, and the
business planning teams.
- Support the development of and compliance with Marriott's
enterprise architecture, engineering, and design plans.
- Ensure participation of appropriate technical expertise in
technical requirements gathering and solution design phases of
- Continuously improve operations processes, develop and present
best practices, technical concepts and technologies for innovative
Cloud and Datacenter Network solutions.
Drive a High-Performing Team
- Generate enthusiasm and understanding of the department vision
and how each role contributes to the achievement of that
- Ensure capabilities are developed and resources are aligned to
support the strategy.
- Attract, motivate, develop, and retain highly skilled
technologists and leaders; champion and model leadership
- Create and sustain a work environment that drives associate
engagement and enables business success.
- Ensure appropriate processes are in place and executed to
encourage collaboration and drive alignment within the team and
with the broader IT organization.
- Serve as a role model and ensure network engineers are visible
and effective partners with IT counterparts, broader Marriott
stakeholders, and service providers.
- Demonstrate extensive operational support capability with
strong ITIL best practices (i.e. Incident Management, Problem
Management, Change Management, Capacity Management, Release
Management, Service Level Management)
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We
believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive,
people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any
protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any
other basis covered under applicable law.
Keywords: Marriott International, Bethesda , Sr. Network Engineer - Data Center Routers & Switches, Other , Bethesda, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!