Visitor Services Associate (Full-time & Part-time)
Company: KID Museum
Posted on: November 18, 2021
About KID MuseumKID Museum is the region's pioneering
experiential museum and educational makerspace. We empower the next
generation with the skills to invent the future. Through hands-on
programming for kids and youth (ages 4-14), we challenge young
people to be active makers, who harness their creativity, curiosity
and compassion to build a better world. We design and deliver
programs across the full continuum of learning for kids in pre-k
through middle school in partnership with educators and schools.
Our onsite programs, community events, and live, virtual sessions
encourage families to learn and explore together, engage kids in
driving their own learning, and support educators in the classroom.
We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, accessibility and
inclusion, and consistently prioritize reaching underserved
students of color with these transformative learning experiences
that unlock opportunity for personal and economic growth.
Through deep, embedded learning partnerships with public and
independent schools, we support students and teachers in developing
new skills and the "mind of a maker." This philosophy embodies the
mindset that we believe will be necessary for the next generation
to successfully compete in an increasingly diverse, interconnected,
and rapidly changing workforce, driven by technology.
We empower the next generation with the skills to invent the
future, and the mindsets, habits, and skill-sets we teach are
practical and powerful in everyday life. We are part of a growing
movement to remake education for every young person, putting them
in the driver's seat and trusting them to be agents of change. For
more information, please visit
Position OverviewKID Museum is seeking a full-time and a part-time
Visitor Services Associate who will serve as the first point of
contact for visitors entering the museum, providing an exceptional
guest experience from beginning to end. This role will lead a
number of visitor-oriented areas including processing admissions
and program registrations, promoting museum programs and events,
and managing visitor inquiries. This position works closely with
the Operations Manager and reports to the Chief Operating
The successful candidate will have a high school diploma or
equivalent with some college and a minimum of 6 - 12 months
customer service, front desk or receptionist experience. Prior
experience with a museum or visitor-centered organization is a
plus. Bilingual candidates desired. Candidates must have an
approachable and caring demeanor, which will nurture the positive,
fun atmosphere that the museum strives to cultivate. Prior
experience handling cash and financial transactions. Interest in
and enthusiasm for museums and/or science education is a plus.
This is an excellent opportunity for a talented professional to be
a part of an organization that has established itself as a
significant resource for children and families in the greater DC
metropolitan region and is poised for national growth. The Visitor
Services Associate will be an integral member of the team as we
navigate our return to in-person programming.
Essential Job Requirements
- Serve as the first point of contact for guests as they enter
the space; provide exceptional customer service for all visitors by
creating a welcoming, engaging, and informative environment.
- Answer incoming phone calls and monitor the museum's
information email account in a timely and efficient manner.
- Register and check in guests for all Museum programs.
Communicate with Operations staff and Program team regarding
registrations, enrollment, and guest inquiries.
- Cultivate knowledge about Museum programming and operations to
provide accurate information to visitors. Serve as a front-line
ambassador of the organization.
- Complete financial transactions in the POS system, including
admission tickets, workshop registrations, memberships, snacks, and
- Maintain secure cash handling standards ensuring minimal
variance discrepancies. Handle visitor financial information with
- Foster relationships with guests through formal and informal
strategies; partner with Marketing & Communications team to gather
input and information regarding their experiences.
- Work in partnership with the Program Operations team to ensure
a successful execution of programs.
- Ensure Museum entry and front desk area is tidy and welcoming
- Assist Operations Manager with administrative inventory and
supply ordering for multiple locations.
- Track family, weekend participant, and visitor numbers.
- Assist with retail store management, birthday party bookings
and event oversight, reception, tracking of visitor metrics, and
- Schedule and staff birthday party bookings, and maintain and
organize birthday party materials.
- Successfully complete other duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability
to effectively communicate with a wide variety of audiences
including children, teachers, parents/caregivers and community
- Knowledge of PatronManager or similar CRM systems preferred but
- Strong administrative skills; good research, planning, and
organizational skills; strong work ethic and follow-through;
excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills; good judgment, initiative, and
- Ability to work independently with little to no
- Able to utilize strong problem-solving skills to make process
improvements and resolve issues.
- Ability to work collaboratively but also take initiative on
- Flexible/able to adapt to changing needs, projects and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and sensitivity within the
museum setting and with respect to employee and customer
- Proficiency in the MS Office suite and Google Workspace.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends,
evenings, holidays and special events.
The successful candidate must be able to perform the above tasks
independently, accurately, reliably, and in a timely manner.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please send a
cover letter and resume to for consideration.
Diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion are important,
interdependent components of everyday life at KID Museum and are
critical to our pursuit of excellence. KID Museum is an equal
opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee
or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion,
national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status,
mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual
orientation, veteran status, or military status.
Keywords: KID Museum, Bethesda , Visitor Services Associate (Full-time & Part-time), Other , Bethesda, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!