Mission Related Investments Fellow
Company: Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Posted on: January 23, 2023
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is a leading healthcare nonprofit
organization like no other. For decades, we have been taking major
steps and pioneering new ways to find a cure for cystic fibrosis.We
are the global leader in the search for a cure for cystic fibrosis
and nearly every CF drug and therapy available today was made
possible because of CF Foundation support. We did this not only for
the more than 30,000 people living in the U.S. with CF - and the
estimated 70,000 people worldwide - but for the families who have
worked tirelessly to find a cure for their loved ones living with
CF.These achievements have required dedication and unwavering
commitment from a talented team of CF Foundation employees. We have
created an environment that attracts -- and retains -- a diverse
group of talented people who are passionate about changing the face
of this disease. Join us and you will partner with colleagues of
varying backgrounds and expertise, all united in our mission.Job
DescriptionThe Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CF Foundation) and its
employees embrace their commitment to its core values. These core
values are the pillars on which the CF Foundation stand and will
continue to sustain us as we move forward.
- Keep sight of what really matters: Our decisions are based on
what is best for people with cystic fibrosis and their
- Aspire for excellence in all we do: We take pride in our work.
We are committed to continuous learning and improvement.
- Stronger together: We collaborate and work together so that we
can learn more and achieve more.
- Innovate with courage: We embrace challenges. We reach beyond
boundaries in pursuit of our vision.
- Care about our people: We deeply care about each other and all
who support our shared mission. We listen with respect. We support
one another.We are a nonprofit, donor-supported organization that
has raised and invested billions of dollars to help develop cystic
fibrosis therapies that have changed the lives of people with this
disease. Nearly every CF medicine available today was made possible
because of Foundation support.POSITION SUMMARY:The CFF has
committed to invest over $500M in our Path to a Cure (PTAC)
Initiative. The Mission Related Investments (MRI) Fellow will
support the Investments and Research Affairs teams in the
evaluation of new biotechnology company investments as part of the
PTAC initiative. The Fellowship is centered around learning how to
perform due diligence on exciting new genetic medicine
technologies. The Fellow will assist in sourcing and triaging new
opportunities as well as performing landscape analyses of key
strategic areas including gene editing, gene insertion, and gene
delivery. These skills are very translatable to highly sought-after
career opportunities in venture capital, venture philanthropy,
business development, and entrepreneurship.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND
- Identify and research new investment opportunities for the
Foundation's PTAC initiative.
- Conduct scientific due diligence under the supervision of the
Investments and Research Affairs teams.
- Perform primary and secondary literature searches to help
assess new opportunities.
- Identify and participate in subject matter expert and key
opinion leader calls.
- Own and manage key landscapes that will inform sourcing and
diligence.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Working toward a PhD, MD, or MD/PhD degree (preference for
candidates with a 2023/early 2024 expected graduation date) or
current Post-Doctoral Researcher, with a focus on genetic therapies
or a related field (e.g., virology, gene delivery materials
- No prior business, finance, or biotechnology industry
- Deep interest in learning best practices to evaluate
early-stage biotech company investments.
- Ability to work 15 - 20 hours/week for twelve consecutive
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members to accomplish
objectives, including diverse scientific team seeking to integrate
diligence with a scientific development platform for cystic
- Ability to prepare well-written, organized material and present
recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex scientific
information and data.
- Ability and interest in researching and uncovering new
- Ability to communicate effectively and foster deep
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.WHAT YOU
WILL LEARN/GAIN DURING THE FELLOWSHIP:
- Basics of biotech venture capital investing.
- Fundamentals of due diligence (aka search and evaluation).
- Introduction to the biotechnology innovation ecosystem.
- Exposure to investment opportunities in a wide variety of
modalities and technology classes.
- Develop clear understanding of genetic therapy technologies and
how this integrates with drug development in cystic fibrosis and
other respiratory and systemic conditions.
- Fellows who demonstrate exceptional performance may be invited
to extend their Fellowship and/or be invited to apply for full-time
- Reports to Senior Director, Investments.
- No direct reports.COMPENSATION:The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
is headquartered in Bethesda, MD, however this role can be
performed on a remote-basis. We offer a pay rate of $45.00 per hour
for this fellowship. WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Normal office environment with little exposure to excessive
noise, dust and temperature.
- No heavy lifting required.
- Minimal travel (e.g., 2x/yr.) to conferences and meetings, as
necessary.The above is intended to describe the general content of
and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be
construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions,
responsibilities, or requirements.#LI-RemoteTotal Rewards: The
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is committed to offering competitive
compensation (base pay and incentive), benefits, and professional
development opportunities that maximize our ability to recruit,
retain, reward, and motivate a highly-qualified and diverse
workforce. Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical,
dental, and vision coverage; generous time-off and leave policies;
a holistic well-being program; health savings and flexible spending
accounts; employer-provided life and disability insurance;
retirement savings benefits; and a variety of work-life benefits to
support employees and their family members.The CF Foundation is an
equal opportunity employer that is committed to being an employer
of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive
place to work. We strive to recruit and maintain a diverse
workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, physical or mental disability,
color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, religion, age,
sex, marital status, genetic information or testing, gender
identity and expression, sexual orientation or status as a
Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran or any characteristic
protected by law.Reasonable Accommodation: The CF Foundation is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified
individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If
you need assistance or would like to request an accommodation due
to a disability, please contact us at HROps@cff.org.
Keywords: Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Bethesda , Mission Related Investments Fellow, Other , Bethesda, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!