Cyber Security Operations Analyst
Company: General Dynamics Information Technology
Posted on: May 16, 2020
Type of Requisition:RegularClearance Level Must Currently
Possess:NoneClearance Level Must Be Able to
Obtain:NoneSuitability:No Suitability RequiredPublic Trust/Other
Required:NACI (T1)Job Family:Cyber SecurityJob Description:
We are seeking a Cyber Security Analyst to join our team to support
the Office of the Director (OD) within the National Institutes of
Health (NIH) at Bethesda, MD. As a Cyber Security Analyst, you will
be part of our Security team focusing on operational aspects of our
security work. As a key participant within the security team you
will share in responsibilities for maintaining security systems and
conducting security operations for accredited infrastructures and
The security team culture promotes interaction among team members
for determining best direction for both our team and client. Our
team culture also promotes individual mentorship and technical
career path growth in latest information system technologies. Our
team constantly seeks out to provide smart and effective solutions
backed by efficient team-built system architectures plus team
documented and tested process and procedures. On this program we
provide support for 2,700 end-customers residing in approximately
20 buildings. Support includes 24x7 on-call duty support for
monitoring of critical systems and for VIP support. Our team
focuses on maintaining excellent customer experience as it relates
to service requests and maintain and improve interoperability
between IT infrastructure systems.
What GDIT Can Offer You:
This role is supporting a critical mission for the public health,
working at the prestigious National Institutes of Health main
campus in Bethesda MD. The NIH Director provides overall leadership
to NIH activities in both scientific and administrative matters.
Your technological expertise and security operations experience
will play a vital role in the OD helping the NIH meet its mission
objectives. After serving OD, there are many opportunities to move
into other more experienced roles across the GDIT huge portfolio of
projects, providing you career growth while part of a dynamic and
In this role, a typical day will include:
- Acting as a system administrator for both Windows and
Linux-based systems including patch deployment, operating system
configuration and hardening and management of hosted applications
used for security monitoring and analysis.
- Analyzing web-based application security vulnerabilities using
both enterprise-grade and manual testing tools.
- Collaboratively managing and maintaining application-based
firewalls through daily monitoring and necessary configuring of
rule-sets, actions, alerts and reporting.
- Interfacing directly with vendors to manage deployments and
perform troubleshooting of security monitoring tools throughout the
- Investigating security incidents in both an independent and
collaborative manner, analyzing network packets, captured audit
logs, intrusion detection alarms and vulnerability scanning
- Documenting the technical details of legitimate incidents in
applicable tracking and ticketing systems and directing applicable
personnel to perform the actions necessary for remediation.
- Routine communication with stakeholders across the enterprise
to explain and direct vulnerability remediation efforts.
- Consulting with clients and team members to provide hardware
and software recommendations.
- Developing processing standards, procedures, and automation for
use by IT staff in a constantly growing and evolving
- Responding to alerts by enterprise monitoring across all
systems managed by the team and provide daily operational
- Assisting in updating disaster recovery plans and testing
continuity of operations
- Delivering weekly reports to supervisor
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- BS degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or
other related Engineering field or equivalent and two years'
- Good understanding of application security, particularly as it
relates to web-based applications.
- Experience analyzing vulnerabilities, particularly those
defined in OWASP's Top 10.
- Experience performing incident response functions.
- Knowledge and working understanding of firewalls and related
- An understanding of intrusion detection systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of security engineering
- Knowledge of Windows and/or Linux Administration is required;
hands on experience is a plus
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Three plus years of information technology experience
- Ability to write clear, concise documentation
- Experience with at least some of the following tools: Tenable
SecurityCenter, IBM AppScan, Carbon Black, Splunk, the Burp Suite,
Palo Alto and/or Imperva application firewalls.
- Experience deploying and maintaining firewalls in general
and/or application firewalls in particular.
- Experience with intrusion detection systems.
- Ability to perform application-based security testing using
manual testing tools (e.g., the Burp Suite).
- Prior ticketing experience ServiceNow(preferable) or
- Experience integrating security engineering principles into the
- GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH)
- Experience working at NIH
Attributes for Success:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience drafting SOPs and technical work instructions.
- The successful candidate will be able to communicate technical
subjects effectively in both verbal and written mediums to both
technical and non-technical audiences.
- Resourcefulness and problem-solving aptitude.
- Desire to work in a team environment and strong work ethic.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40Travel Required:NoneTelecommuting
Options:Some Telecommuting AllowedWork Location:USA MD
BethesdaAdditional Work Locations:We are GDIT. The people
supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and
intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the
expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We
transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and
innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow
is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the
lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology
transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or
any other protected class.
Keywords: General Dynamics Information Technology, Bethesda , Cyber Security Operations Analyst, Professions , Bethesda, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!